CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The main characters of the novel

Who are the main characters in the novel? Do you like them? Why or why not? What is special aobut them? What do they reveal about the universal human experience?

The main characters are: O'Brien, Julia and Winston. Winston is a person who strongly dislike the dystopia society. He expresses his angers through doing some rebellious thing, such as keeping a diary, reading books, and falling in love with someone. Because Winston thinks that O'Brien is trust-worthy, he starts to tell him his thoughts and opinions towards the society. O'Brien, who's actually working for Big Brother the dictator, acts as if he advocates Winston's thoughts, and persecute Winston later on. Julia is a neutral person. Although she agrees with Winston's rebellious thoughts, she doesn't practice her thoughts into action unlike Winston. Ironically, her attitude changes after she falls in love with Winston.
Although I dislike O'Brien's cunning personality, I could understand the situation. If I were in the situation like him, I wouldn't risk my life and my job to simply follow 'justice and right', but rather blend in to what everyone's doing even if it's morally wrong, becaue I know it's hard to go against everyone. Winston's personalities and attitude were quite admiring to me in the beginning of the novel. I was disappointed when he finally surrender to torture and blames his loving one, Julia, yet I felt sympathy for him; pain is hard to resist.

5 comments:

Josep Folta said...

This post is a nicely written post. It is organized very well. I agree with mostly everything that was said in this post.
This post says that Big Brother was the dicatator of Oceania. However, the 1984 leads the reader to think that Big Brother does not even exist (or at least he is dead). Big Brother is a person that the Party made because it is easier to follow (and adore...) a person rather than an organization.
I think this post is a well-written post.

DaBist said...

Wow. This is deep. You very clearly expressed talked about the character's characteristics, their actions, views about the dystopian world, but most importantly, told what you thought about the situation within the story. I agree with your personal comment about the story. There are many qualities humans can't resist. Greed, temptation, and pain take the major part. One must have a very strong sense of will power to truly resist these three factors and Winston failed.

Jesse Park said...

Great post, Stephen~ Good explanation of each characters. I agree with most of the things you wrote. You said you would wouldn't risk your life to go against the government. If I were living in this dystopian world, I would fight for my freedom; I don't think I would be able to live under harsh oppression and supervision, and I would risk my life to fight against the government. Your post was quite interesting~:]

David Kim said...

You have written a really good post there. Your ideas about the characters are deep, and I totally agree to what you wrote. However, I did not like the second paragraph because at the beginning, he wrote that if he were in O'Brien's situation, he would have done the morally wrong things if that is what everybody thinks is right, but at the end, he wrote that he was disappointed at Winston for doing what is morally wrong but is believed right by other people. I think he sould have said that it was okay to tell O'Brien to torture Julia instead of Winston himself if he wanted to support his statement (I'm sorry to criticize your work, Steven!!)

Sophia Lee said...

I also respect Winston, though he did not succeed in his rebellion. I was disappointed when he said he loved Big Brother. However, I could understand him. If I had those situations, I would act the same. O'Brien is detestable person. If he want to blend in, he should not torture other people. I like how you write there characteristics. Nice work.