CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Entry of my choice: What are my thoughts and questions about 1984?

There are two questions that came up in my mind after reading the novel. First of all, I was quite awed at the surprising ending and I wonder why did George Orwell end his novel in such way. After some times of thinking, I concluded that the author intended to leave a strong after-image to readers. People wouldn't remember the novel and its moral clearer and longer if Winston succeded to overthrow the dystopia for sure. I guess his intention was successful, since I see readers sharing their thoughts about the novel on the Internet even long time after they finished it.
In addition, I pondered why the title was '1984', because when I first saw the title, I thought it would be something about past or so. However, future is the time background of this novel. I searched some information about the novel and the author and figured out the two reasons. The first one is that George Orwell wrote this book some time around 1950s; the year of 1984 was actually future to him when he was working on this. Secondly, the author chose the number to symbolize near future for those who lived in mid twentieth century; he tried to reflect current situation of 1950s and forsee the future.

0 comments: