CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 1, 2008

The mood of 1984

What is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in anyway? Why?

The mood of 1984 is somewhat gloomy. People are described as 'puppets' of Big Brother. There are lots of forbidden things; books, love, and so on. It's totally a dystopia. The mood made me dismal because of a few reasons.
First, there is a distrust atmosphere in the society. No one except Winston and Julia has close relationship with anybody; people are all isolated. They keep on doubting others if they might 'sue' them. Being not able to talk heart-to-heart is a very exhausting thing. I know it because I had experienced it when I first moved to America; since my English was horrible, I couldn't make any 'true' friends. I simply feel sympathy for the residents in this dystopia.
In addition, there is no freedom. Not only actions but even thoughts are controlled and being watched. Living this kind of life is noting but being a puppet. Yet, the fact that no one except Winston is trying to change the situation made me feel even more depressed; the dystopia will remain as its current state forever unless people stand up.

1 comments:

shinyena21 said...

Yes, I agree with your opinion.
I think that the mood of 1984 is not just somewhat gloomy, but extremely dismal and miserable. It is depressing that Winston is one of the few who try to change and defy against the situation; however, I believe we should understand how harshly people living in the world of 1984 are oppressed and educated in a way that we cannot imagine. I once asked myself: "If I were living in that situation, would I be able to have courage to resist it?" but I wasn't too sure about it. =(